Women Firefighters – Tell your story!
The Women Firefighter Narrative Visibility Project (WFNVP) knows that women firefighters are making a difference in our communities every day.
This is your chance to share your experience – standout or workaday events or moments from the field, the community, or the fire hall. Together we’ll shape the stories that you want to tell into short narrative written or recorded art pieces — audio, visual, written or digital.
You don’t have to have any artistic experience. You will be led through the whole process by the professional artists from Red Dress Productions. You decide how involved you want to be. The commitment is flexible – come to one or all workshops, and stay for as long as you’re able.
Workshops will also be offered in Toronto, check the FSWO page.
If you’d like to contribute but the workshop times don’t work for you, please contact us and we will include your stories in another way.
We gratefully acknowledge the support of Toronto Professional Fire Fighters’ Association and the Workers Arts and Heritage Centre, and our funder, the Ontario Arts Council.
For more information contact [email protected]
or by phone, 647-937-1470, or FSWO at [email protected]
With this project, FSWO hopes to:
• Tell the stories of a unique group of women workers, supporting our work in building women firefighter leaders by sharing their experiences and knowledge
• Make women more visible on the job
• Encourage women firefighters to reflect on their on-the-job experiences
• Increase our sense of well-being and our access to mentorship and opportunities to share with other female firefighters
• Enhance the public’s understanding of the complexity of career firefighting, leading to better service, and to more positive media representations.
• Show women and girls the value of joining the fire service